Wednesday, October 17, 2012

that's what MEA is for

set the coffee pot to brew, mike.   pour a cup; i'm bringing back my bloggy blog.  no promises, but i've had the urge to write lately and MEA weekend feels like as good a time as any to set my fingers loose.    i had two bright blue folders in my hands along with the massive department of education checklist for monitoring those files as i was leaving my office today. 

 i turned to have one last look at the tens of tens of box elder bugs that inhabit my office, pointed my middle finger at them, and then i threw those files down on my table.  i fully intended to bring the files home over the 4-day break from school, to start the hours of work they will entail.  but, as it turns out i said fuck you to those files and those nasty creatures that ping against my cheek and arm while i'm responding to emails at work.  i hastily decided to have a vacation instead.  

first up, wine with girlfriends.  i hustled home before i could rethink my decision with the files.   (a decision for which i will pay dearly in my week-day evenings for the next two weeks.)    i brushed my teeth, giddily knowing they would be turning red later.  made a measured decision that i was too lazy to walk or bike to wildflower and possibly too winey to drive home after.  i went in search of al for a lift.  

found him loading the truck and trailer up with cut brush from trimming the overgrown forest in our back yard.  al commented, "i haven't trimmed these since before bert's accident."  ignoring my response of "i don't think you ever trimmed those", i shifted gears and quickly followed up with a compliment about how much yard work he accomplished today.  i was asking for a ride, no need to muddy the waters by highlighting past yard neglect.  

i asked if he wanted help hauling the brush.  and i threw in that the girls were all set for my arrival if he didn't need any help.   a quick no was offered up, yay!, and al's reply to my request for a ride, "certainly! that's what MEA is for right!" was a delight!   we hopped in the truck after loading up a final pile.  

well, no.  not really.  MEA weekend isn't entirely about me chumming around with my lady friends swilling wine and eating soup and candy corn.  as a speech therapist i've neither been interested in nor attended the teacher workshops that MEA promotes.  my speech-specific workshops are in april.   and i plan to, attend those, specifically. 

 for me, MEA is a break from the post-summer SHOCK of being back to full time days of teaching little people.  we've almost been back to it for two months now, and i relish this break.  a teacher must be "on" at all times and my communication challenges this year are top shelf toughies.   break, do your job.  

gotta scoot.  time to share more VOTE NO and running pictures on my facebook.   

 stay up late to write thegretalist for old times sake

No comments:

Post a Comment