Friday, December 27, 2013

goals schmoals

Plump to Pump
Blog #8 for No Quit Fit Outdoor Bootcamp

12/27/13

I've been busy figuring out all the aspects of my Hardcore Hottie training plan. I have to learn all the exercises, how to use the machines at the gym, proper form, how to add more protein to my daily consumption without eating more meat, how to count my macros, and more. I'm feeling good about my progress toward being ready to start on January 1. I have become an avid viewer of video clips on bodybuilding.com. 

Don't confuse that with bodybuilder.com which is seedy and 70's-looking and has a picture on the cover page of a woman body builder in a purple bikini that turned me off so much I nearly ripped my Hardcore Hottie plan in half when I saw her in her awkward pose. Meg, my trainer, has this in mind as the place to send me?! Gross! Nasty! I persevered for a few moments and searched around the site for the video clips of the exercises to learn. I kept coming back to this over-muscled poser on the cover, crinkling my nose. I checked my plan, oh it's bodybuildING.com DUH. 

Whew. I'm relieved to see a reputable site and can report that I am now in love with a blonde bobbed built bodacious bountiful woman who is in their teaching videos. They have her in slo-mo showing me how to complete the exercises with weights and machines and I carefully absorbed each of her movements and muscle ripplings. WOW. She looks short, but she's never standing next to anyone so I can't gauge her height. But I'm 5'8" and I think in comparison to her my limbs are longer and my muscle type leaner in general. It's probably not right to pick a body and say "yep that's it, I want that look" as I think the hair stylists cringe at a photo of a celebrity hair cut when there's no way they can make my hair look like that. But I certainly envision my body to gain muscle -- and if you ask me -- she's the shit. Utter fabulousness. Blonde Bobbie I call her. She doesn't even smile or make eye contact with the camera throughout any of the video clips. And she's that magnetic. That body!

But I digress. 

So I completed Day 1 and Day 2 of my lifting routines this week in preparation for my Wednesday start. I have made a list of non-meat proteins to up my protey intake without having to shovel meat into my mouth non-stop all day long to achieve 155 grams per freaking day. I bought my lunch leftovers containers so no more Smart Ones at work. I learned to count macros and practiced a few days using myfitnesspal, not hitting the prescribed numbers yet, but who wants to blow their wad before the race even starts, not me. 

But something's been missing. I don't have a clear goal that satisfies my intense desire to have a clearly stated goal. I'm goal oriented, I didn't even realize it until two years ago when I started my fitness odyssey. But yep, goals and me, we're tight. 

When I decided to lose weight, I had a number on the scale as my goal. I had a starting point of 170 pounds and I knew I wanted to cut 25. I asked my husband to take 'before' photos. I stood in front of him, peeling off my clothes, at my lowest point. No sucking in. No good angles. Snap those damn pictures and let me see them. Oh crap, there it was. A sad sack in a sports bra and undies. I wasn't even exercising but I was wearing a sports bra constantly to pack my big boobs down as tight as could be so they appeared smaller under my baggy clothes. The look on my face is exactly how I was feeling about myself. But I had a starting point with a clear ending point. 

When I decided to run a marathon, the day came and I had to run a marathon. I had a starting point of being able to run about 3 miles in 32 minutes and needed to train to be able to run 26.2 miles in 4 hours 31 minutes. Starting point - clear ending point. 

When I decided to increase my muscle mass, uh, hm. I have taken measurements, my numbers will change, but I don't have a clue what they could or should change to. I don't know how I'm going to look with bigger defined muscles; I'm doing this to see if I like a more shapely, muscled body. The goal "look fucking hot in a bikini in March" isn't quantifiable. It's sort of felt like a plan without a clear goal in the end. Until now! Now I have my goal! I want to look like Blonde Bobbie's taller sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment