Saturday, March 10, 2012

thermostat temp by-laws at the legion


this is a good group of people.   i'm at the american legion.  a healthy slice of americana.   my oldest son bert likes to play poker.  he doesn't have a license, so i'm the driver tonight.    al usually comes with him because al is always up for a poker game too.   but al's dancing the night away at a trampled by turtles show tonight, so i'm at the wheel.   bert's mostly independent aside from needing the ride, so i brought my unread people magazines and my laptop.

i'm four weeks behind so i haven't a clue how in the world kate's doing while william's away.  i'm in the dark about the dream wedding of elizabeth smart and have only some nondescript twitter knowledge of linsanity.  i leafed through the mail stack today and was confused to see risky business tom cruise on the cover.  after reading the caption, i realize somehow davy jones has escaped me through the years so i'll take a crash course with His Life in Pictures.  i knew he passed away, just couldn't have picked him out in a line up.

this friday night group of 50-somethings keeps it at a dull roar here at the legion.  they poke a little fun, banter at the table, but mostly they just play cards and shout things like "pot's good" and  "turn and burn" which makes me crack up as i wipe the sweat from the space between my nose and upper lip.   maintaining an 80 degree temp is the norm at the legion.  knowing that, i did layer up tonight, but still, i am cooking.   turn down the heat barkeep!

it's all good in the legion, except for the old hag that cackled sharply and deafeningly when i spilled water on the bar while i was pouring ice water from the pitcher into the plastic dixie cup.

i had gone up to the bar.  the kindly peanut-eating 75-year-old bartender with the short bouffant and dangly, red-carpet-ready, gold earrings took my order.  miller lite.  i didn't order my ushe corona with double lime because i figured they might not have either at the legion.  i didn't want to seem hoity toity, or ungracious, or call attention to myself with a scene of 'we don't have that HERE missy'.    miller lite's my old standby when i want to lay low at the legion.

look to my left, hot diggity dog, there's a fat pitcher of ice water at the bar next to two tall towers of plastic cups.   this makes me giddy as now i don't have to keep asking granny for more water, another cup, just one more water please, all night long to assuage dehydration in this blasted heat.

i haven't gotten my sweatshirt off yet, so i feel a bead of sweat starting down my forehead.   i can't get one of those cups in my fingers fast enough and when i start to pour, the flimsy little 6 ounce cup topples over and i spill the water.

enter the old bitty perched at the corner of the bar:  "ahhcacklecackleahahahhhhhaa"!   at least 10 sets of eyes darted my way, dashing my hopes of anonymity.   noisy nelly did hand me a napkin, so she wasn't all evil.

spend 6 hours at the legion, drink one beer

No comments:

Post a Comment