Wednesday, February 8, 2012

the downside to exercising

in the last few months i have gone from firmly holding an anti-exercise stance, to now being a 5 day a week exerciser.   i'm paying attention to calories in and calories out and am making some headway toward shaping up my lumpy bod into one that doesn't show overweight on the bmi chart.

i'm sick and tired of that balance board high pitched girl/boy on the wii fit plus telling me that my bmi is in the 'overweight' section.  so i'm fighting my way back to 'normal', one less scoop of chunky peanut butter at a time.

the downside to exercising vigorously, is that i sweat profusely.  my hair is drenched by the end of kickboxing, my face is beet red halfway through step aerobics.  sweating buckets makes me feel like i am really getting a great workout, so it's not the actual sweating that bothers me.   the actual sweating makes me feel like i am alive.

the sticking point is that i now have to shower every day.  this is interfering with at least 15 extra minutes of sleep 3 days per week.  i had some real soul searching to do when i realized gone are the days of showering tuesday, thursday, saturday, sunday mornings with hair left down.   and gone are the showerless hair-bun days of monday, wednesday, and friday.  



this is not me.  when i google imaged 'messy bun of an overweight bmi' i got nothing.  so this will have to do.     i still do occasionally revive the messy bun on the weekends.  i pair my bun with scratched, crooked, too-loose fitting purple spectacles.
um, i just grab a pony and pull all the hair to the back and wrap the pony around it.  i do this all in one fell swoop.  it takes 4 seconds.  

i get salty and stinky nearly every day of the week now.  are buns of steel worth it?  are madonna pipes worth it?    the loss of the messy easy bun.  the loss of sleep.  the addition of hair product.

it was a tough call.  i picked the shape up.  and now i love myself each evening after bootcamp or body reform class, and kick myself each morning when my alarm goes off.


4 comments:

  1. OK, you know I love you BUT (dot, dot, dot) how could you have thought it acceptable to skip showering 3x per week? Did this happen when the kids arrived? I'm so happy for you about the exercising, because I intend to keep you around for a looooong time, and I am equally excited you have decided to up your game in the realm of cleaning yourself. And you thought I never judged. Since I've come this far, I have to keep going: are you telling me that you exercise and get all sweaty at night, but shower in the morning?? (thus the loss of sleep). Inquiring minds (my nosey butt) wants to know. Especially if we have any sleepovers in our future ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactamundo. had i not been so incredibly tired from crafting a tersely worded lengthy rebuttal to an assinine comment on my facebook page, i would have continued my blog to explain that, yes, i have the kind of hair that dictates a morning shower, not evening. will maybe blog this tonight. but yes, i go to bed salty. alien's always been more into chips than chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny! You can shower without the hair re-do in the evening, and the real thing in the morning. Yes, I'm talking about 2 showers per day!! Dude, my hair is fine and doesn't work well if slept on, wet or dry so I sympathize. But I shower twice/day if I don't work out first thing in the morning. Think about it. And I am looking forward to the next blog no matter the topic, but especially if it makes a (titanic) case for infrequent showering.

      Delete
  3. 2 showers a day. that's like a foreign language to me. no way. i'd shrivel up like a prune. per your order, i'm thinking about it...and uh, no.

    ReplyDelete