Wednesday, February 1, 2012

pillars of the community



i was out for drinks tonight with a girlyfriend, crossing gossip off my list.  near the end my glass of wine, a former student and his dad came by with a warm hello.  instinct had me push the wine glass aside replaced swiftly with my water glass.

i usually have a tinge of guilt when i'm out having drinks and run across a student and parents.   when i spot them, first i decide how tipsy i am and if i feel too drunk that i can't hide it easily, i seek cover and then make a mad dash for the bathroom before i'm made.   while there, i can craft a plan of escape or wait it out.

most times all is well, and i can carry on perky conversation just fine.   due to my intense adoration for corona double lime and cab sav, our decision to live in the same town in which i teach probably saved me from chronic boozing and a twelve step program.

and i know of course technically it's okay for me to be having a glass of wine. it is legal, but teachers are held to different and higher standards than most community members.   i am sure this is not just in my head.   i'm here to shatter all my parents' ideals of teacher perfection... i drink wine.  and beer.  and i curse.  and gossip.  and fart.

i do none of these around your children, thus the now-you-see-it-now-you-don't wine push away tonight.  if i were to fart at school, i would never hear the end of it from the kids.  they would go back to class and tell their teacher that greta farted and giggle giggle.   deda farted, deda farted!   i do know my flatulence boundaries.  while farts are hilarious when hearing them first hand, there is no humor in being fart-tattled.  





No comments:

Post a Comment