Saturday, February 4, 2012

the painful process of picking a profile picture

why not post a profile picture on thegretalist?  because i feel fat.  very occasionally i do meet women that love their bodies and i'm not one of them.   oh by the way, that's how i like to write it... thegretalist. with no spaces.  saves me the time of using quotation marks which would be additional keystrokes for which i don't have time.

does that sound pompous to write 'for which i don't have time'?   initially i wrote the sentence like this:  ...which would be additional keystrokes that i don't have time for.  but the dangling participle would haunt me.  i could have continued to write but i would be distracted by my grammatical error.   i would rather sound highfalutin than be branded with using careless sentence structure.  ok, let's get this on with.

had this been 1992 i would have definitely chosen a full body photograph.  that was the year i graduated from high school.  i was fit as a fiddle and into every sport.  couldn't get enough of gut busters and defensive drills in basketball, sprints and interval training in track, and i actually don't remember much about volleyball practices except standing behind the line serving.  probably why vball was my least favorite sport of the three.  too much standing around, not enough action.

the only part i didn't like about high school was the two weeks between sports when there were no practices after school.   oh, and the mean writing about me on the girls' bathroom stall walls.  and trigonometry (i suck at math).  and riding the bus to school when i was too old to still have to ride the bus.   so there was more than one dislike, but that list is about it.   sports were my life.   my stick-type muscular body with a few lady-curves was the result.

so, had al gore been more on the ball and had the internet and blog readership all ready to go by 1992, you would be getting a picture from those times.  but i don't live in the past.  i have neither a huge wall of aquanetted bangs nor a lump-free body.

while in college, i didn't want to prove anyone wrong by not packing on the freshman fifteen.  i really don't like confrontation at all.  so i obliged the ne'er-do-well college boys that liked to needle girls about their bodies as if we were still in high school.   i shoveled garvey commons meal after meal in my mouth and quit all sports.  i told myself i just needed a break from all the sports competition.    i took up smoking cigarettes, was a regular at house parties, and sneaked plenty of 24-packs into the dorms of our dry campus.  without sports to keep me fit, on came the poundage.

during first quarter, i was walking to class and came across another freshmen, jennifer, that i knew from a neighboring high school in my conference.  she asked me which intramural teams i was on and when i coolly replied 'none' she asked incredulously 'how are you staying in shape, are you roller blading at least?'   i didn't brag to her about my smoking/drinking/watching 90210 plan for weight maintenance, but i made something active up so i didn't look like a total slob.  but as i walked away indignant, i thought 'i have a fast metabolism, it doesn't matter'.  i just remembered her last name and looked her up on facebook.   she looks gorgeous and fit.  jennifer was right, i was wrong.

fast forward to 2012.  forty pounds is the exciting number of lbs i've added to my 5"8' frame.  not all at once, a little bit every year.   i wasn't concerned enough to take any action until recently.   lately it takes upwards of 30 takes before i get a good photo that doesn't highlight my double chin.   digital cameras are a godsend.  but my family and friends are getting sick of me making them pose and pose and pose again with me until i get a picture that is passable.

i AM changing things with my fitness and have already shed a few pounds!!  but what pic to pick now?   i do want to have my picture associated with this blog.  so i went back about 4 years to pre-chinny chin chin.   there you go.


find either most embarrassing or most beautiful picture  i'll ride on this one for awhile until i can find the photo of the life-sized line-drawn me with a poof of fart smoke coming out of my ass on which we played "pin the fart on the greta" at my 30th birthday party.





No comments:

Post a Comment